Galata Tower is a medieval stone tower located in the Karaköy district of Istanbul. Built in 528 AD, the building is one of the most important landmarks of the city. Galata Tower offers a panoramic view of Istanbul’s historic peninsula. The Bosporus and the Golden Horn can be viewed from the tower in panoramic view. In 2013, UNESCO included the tower in the World Heritage List.
The height of the tower to the end of the roof is 69.90 meters. The wall thickness is 3.75 m, the inner diameter is 8.95 m and the outer diameter is 16.45 m. According to the static calculations, its weight is about 10.000 tons and its thick body is made of untreated rubble.
The tower was built in 528 as a lighthouse tower by the order of the Byzantine Emperor Anastasius. The tower, damaged in the crusades in 1204, was rebuilt in 1348 by the Genoese in addition to the walls of Galata. The tower was used as the place where Christian prisoners of war were held in the 16th century.
The tower was also used as a fire watchtower and finally between 1965 and 1967 it was gone through a detailed restoration and it was commercialized and opened to the public.
The visiting hour of the tower is between 9 am – 7 pm. Admission fee for tourists is 25 Turkish Liras.
The restaurant where you can have a pleasant dinner at the 9th floor of the tower starts to serve at 8 pm, after the closing of the tower to the visitors.